Pages

Tuesday 14 April 2009

The Interview (part two)

We've been away for a few days (more about that later) so apologies for the delay in answering the second half of Lisa's questions.

3. Do you have a favourite speech that gives you chills even just reading about it? (I have a dream etc)

Gosh, when I saw that question I quaked a bit. A favourite speech! Am I that deep, intelligent and insightful to have a favourite speech?! Of course I know Martin Luther King Jnr's (the main bits) but I' be hard pressed to think of any others. Oh - I know "Ask not what your country can do for you.....etc" by Kennedy. But does it give me chills? Not really.

And then it came to me. A speech that gives me chills and moves me to tears. It inspires me to do better and to keep going in hard times. It reminds me that there is a bigger purpose to life and that I have a part in it, as we all do. A speech by a faithful servant who found himself out of his ordinary life, fighting to save that life and all he holds dear. It is from The Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers by Samwise Gamgee:
Sam Gamgee: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding on to Sam?
Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.



4. Oranges or lemons?

Well that's a much easier one. Lemons, no contest. Lemon cheesecake, lemon pudding, lemon drizzle cake, lemon curd, lemon meringue pie, lemon and garlic marinade on meat - I could go on. I love lemons. When we get to Australia I really would like to grow a lemon tree. The thought of harvesting my own lemons ..... mmmmm!

5. Handwritten letters, or email?

That's quite a tricky one actually. I do like the immediacy of email. The way you can just write a short note, attach a photo, press send, and it's there. It's great for keeping in touch and I have no doubt I'll be using it lots and lots (sending and receiving) when we move. But there is something romantic (with a small r as well as a big R) about writing and receiving a handwritten letter through the post. To spend time constructing a letter feels so nice - you give the recipient attention even though they aren't there. And of course you really are sending a bit of yourself. I still have letters from friends and family that they sent while I was in America about 20 years ago. Just seeing them reminds me of their love for me and their attempts to cheer me up through homesickness. I also still have letters from my (now) husband from 14 years ago, that he sent me while he was away, reminding me of the very beginning of our relationship.
So I guess I'd say letters, there's nothing as exciting as finding a handwritten envelope in amongst the bills and junk mail. But, as someone about to emigrate, I am still very grateful for the invention of email.

Well that concludes my interview. Thanks so much to Lisa for the questions - I really enjoyed thinking about my answers. I will throw the gauntlet down now for anyone reading this - if you'd like to take part in an interview for your blog then let me know via comments and I'll happily think of some questions for you!

No comments: